PACIFIC WEST DESIGN STUDIO
OUTDOOR LIVING DESIGN & BUILD
Pacific West Design creates stunning 3D landscape renderings for residents of San Diego and Orange County. Our talented and professional staff work closely with homeowners, contractors and HOAs to ensure that the homeowners are provided with an architectural design that perfectly balances functionality, beauty and budget.
1. IT STARTS WITH A CONVERSATION
You've thought about how cool it would be to have a great, backyard space to relax in, entertain friends, write your novel or watch the kids play. Our first formal consultation starts uncovering the elements that will turn that dream into a reality.
By phone, Skype or in our offices, we'll guide you through a series of topics to help refine the key elements of your project. Sure, we'll spend time talking about pool size, BBQ appliances, whether you prefer turf or grass and other physical characteristics that matter -- but what really starts to hone the plan is how you imagine your future self enjoying the new space. It's the who, what, where, when and why of your dream that we want to understand.
There's a craft to building or restoring exterior spaces -- and there's an art to getting it absolutely right for you.
2. INITIAL CONCEPTS AND LAYOUT
We'll take what we've learned and start the hunt for the inspiration to build your dream on. What we're looking for is size, shape of the different areas and location of features. If you've already got the plans, great! We will create a simple, easily understood and efficient set of layouts to see how the physical elements fit and to give you a feel for form and function of the space.
Once we've got the layouts right and the design inspected we'll be able to develop a preliminary budget and project timeline.
3. DESIGN IDEAS: COLORS, TEXTURES, SHAPES AND FINISHES
This is when you start to see the dream taking on form.
We'll create a design board that lets you experience how the materials you'll see and touch - walk on, sit on, cook on -- feel to you. You may be surprised at some of your choices and we love that. There are always refinements to be made as we go along and that's okay, it's part of the process.
In the end, we've got a design plan you're in love with and that we can't wait to build for you.
4. DETAILED SPECIFICATIONS AND BUDGET ESTIMATE
One last step before we start the build -- we create a detailed list of the materials, features, appliances and infrastructure that'll go into your project. We'll also estimate labor hours and combine it all into a refined project estimate of cost and schedule.
These initial consultation, design, planning and estimating stages are completed for a flat fee. Depending on the complexity and scale of the proposed project, budgets for completion of these phases prior to construction usually range from $3000 to $7500.
5. THEN WE BUILD.
All restoration projects then follow the same general path from startup to completion:
1. Site Inspection and Demolition - We identify unique issues to be addressed and remove elements that aren't a part of the new vision. Grading what remains ensures a clean, fresh level base to build on.
2. Repairs and Infrastructure -- Here's where we fix or replace things that are going to matter later (drains, irrigation, electrical, gas lines, etc.) and install embedded infrastructure. Most of this work is underground and not horribly exciting yet absolutely crucial for everything to function properly later on.
3. Walls, Pools, Fire Pits, BBQs, and other features -- These elements form the space you'll live in and are the backdrop to all the fun design stuff. Getting the fit and finish right is critical.
4. Hardscapes -- The layout takes shape during this key phase. Sight lines, heights of benches and countertops, widths of paths, placement of lighting fixtures and the all-important flow all become apparent. This is a big milestone and always a great time for a deep breath.
5. Plants and other Softscapes -- After a final cleaning, planters are filled with plants and gravel (or mulch). Lights and Irrigation are fitted and installed. Hammocks go up and grills, firepits turn on in anticipation of actual use in your what should now be kick ass yard.
6. Walk-through and Punch List -- This is always a highlight for the project team -- we get to show you your pristine new space and demonstrate how everything functions. It's also a chance to make sure we've met all of your requirements for final delivery.
All construction work is billed on a time and materials basis and our agreement with you will reflect an agreed upon scope, and a target budget estimate and schedule. Construction budgets generally range from $400 to $2,600 per square foot of outdoor space.
READY TO GET STARTED? TELL US MORE ABOUT YOUR DREAM HOME.
At Pacific West Design we believe that your backyard project should be an exciting, hassle free adventure. Our staff's experience, customer service skills, and talent has been a testament to that belief for over 10 years. If you would like to get started on your project, contact Chris today for your free on-site quote.